Tuesday 6 May 2014

20th Century Chic - 100 years of women's fashion

I have been looking forward to visiting this exhibition for a couple of weeks called '20th Century Chic' at Sudley House in Liverpool. I am really interested in how fashion has evolved through time, so I jumped on a bus and popped in to have a peek. I have never been to this museum before, so I wasn't really sure what to expect. I arrived to discover a victorian house surrounded by lovely scenery and great views. Inside the house, I browsed through the various exhibitions of oil paintings and many different forms of 3D art . After exploring and learning a little bit of history about the building and people who had once lived there I wandered up to the exhibition.



When I first walked in what struck me was the layout and presentation of the clothing, it is dramatic and eye-catching which worked well for the items. The dimmed lights made the outfits pop out and showcased the journey from the past to the present. The collection reflects the changes in the role of women throughout the last century. It was really interesting to actually see garments from different eras and discover more about the social changes that influenced the hemlines.


There are 12 evening wear outfits on display which varied from 1900 through to 2000 in ten year periods and each outfit was accompanied by a display board. Each board described what was happening in the world during that time and how this was reflected through fashion.










The collection shows the impact that society, current events and the world around us has on what we wear, even still in the modern day. It made me wonder what people in the future will be thinking about how we all dress today and what historical events in our lifetime have really influenced our fashion choices. When we get dressed in the morning we are reflecting the society we live in and it is one of the main reasons I love fashion, I find the whole concept of it fascinating. 

Has anyone else been? What did you think?

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment